Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In May 1823 the first official Texas Ranger Company was organized to protect settlers from Indian attacks. John Tumlinson was killed in such an attack by Waco Indians in July of that year while en route to San Antonio to buy gunpowder for his militia.
Elizabeth Tumlinson was granted a league of land in a desirable location in the center of the Colorado District in August 1824. She and her children remained in Austin's Colony. John J. Tumlinson, Jr., became a Texas Ranger Captain in 1832 and was the first of many of his descendants to serve the Rangers. His brother Peter joined the rangers in 1835. Fourteen other men who were related to John and Elizabeth Tumlinson by blood or marriage served in the Texas Rangers between 1859 and 1921, and several other Tumlinsons
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission, sponsored by descendants of John Jackson and Elizabeth Plemmons Tumlinson. (Marker Number 15368.)
Location. 29° 42.33′ N, 96° 32.393′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Spring Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. On south side of courthouse square. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rangers of Austin's Colony (here, next to this marker); Stafford-Miller House (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Memorial Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stafford Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker); Stage Lines Through Columbus (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); District Court Tree (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. Along the frame of the marker is inscribed, "Researched by James G. Hopkins." An additional, smaller marker attached below the main marker reads, "Marker sponsored by descendants of John Jackson and Elizabeth Plemmons Tumlinson, many of whom are members of "Descendants of Austin's Old Three Hundred." "
Categories. • Government • Military • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,372 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 21, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 2. submitted on April 13, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.