Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stroudsburg in Monroe County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Penn

 
 
Fort Penn Marker image. Click for full size.
September 19, 2005
1. Fort Penn Marker
Inscription. Named for Governor John Penn, and replacing Fort Hamilton, the fort stood nearby. In 1763, it was garrisoned by Provincial troops. Later it served as refuge from attacks following the Battle of Wyoming, July 3, 1778.
 
Erected 1967 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 59.142′ N, 75° 11.593′ W. Marker is in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, in Monroe County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 209) near 6th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 530 Main Street, Stroudsburg PA 18360, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Monroe County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); McMichaels Creek (about 700 feet away); A. Mitchell Palmer (about 700 feet away); Jacob Stroud (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Hamilton (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stroudsburg.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesWar, French and IndianWar, US Revolutionary
 
Fort Penn Marker image. Click for full size.
September 19, 2005
2. Fort Penn Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2005, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,448 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2005.
Paid Advertisement