Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Manchester Elliott Grays
Here on the site of the old market
square the Manchester Elliott Grays,
the first volunteer company in this
section, was mustered into service
May 9, 1861, commanded by Louis
Francis Bossieux. After attending
services at the old Ninth Street
Methodist Church, they entrained
for Norfolk May 10, 1861.
Erected by Elliott Grays Chapter
United Daughters of the
Confederacy. May 9, 1935.
Here the Manchester Artillery,
composed of Manchester and
Chesterfield County men, was
enrolled for service, May 1, 1861,
Dr. William R. Weisiger, commanding.
Erected 1935 by United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 37° 31.308′ N, 77° 26.53′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East 10th Street and Hull Street Road (U.S. 360), on the left when traveling east on East 10th Touch for map. This monument is located on the lawn of the old Manchester Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 920 Hull Street, Richmond VA 23224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel Thomas Stegge, Jr. (a few steps from this marker); Dorothy Height (approx. ¼ mile away); Manchester Lodge No. 14 (approx. ¼ mile away); Manchester Canal (approx. half a mile away); Transitions (approx. half a mile away); Harnessing the River (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mayo's Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Belle Isle Rolling Milling and Slitting Manufactory (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 886 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 24, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 4. submitted on April 25, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.