Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-41.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 28.534′ N, 82° 1.403′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County Touch for map. located on the campus of Augusta State University. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bell at Augusta State University (a few steps from this marker); Stephen Vincent Benet House (within shouting distance of this marker); Augusta College Three Original Arsenal Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); The Augusta Arsenal (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walker Family Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Augusta State University (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Augusta Arsenal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Augusta Arsenal 1941 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Regarding Bellevue. Son, William Henry Talbot Walker (November 26, 1816 – July 22, 1864) was an American soldier. He was a career United States Army officer who fought with distinction during the Mexican-American War, and also served as a Confederate general during the American Civil War. Walker was severely wounded many times in combat, and was killed in action during the 1864 Atlanta Campaign. (Wikipedia)
Also see . . . Biographical Directory of the United States Congress (Submitted on October 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. Interesting Fact
Bellevue Hall has a large basement that still has the original coal chutes, some coal pieces and a meat storage locker that was the house fridge back in the 1800's.
— Submitted February 26, 2014, by Deron E Lillard of Augusta, Georgia.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 625 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on August 22, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.