Near Quinby in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
William R. Johnson House / The Columns
William R. Johnson House
This Greek Revival house was built ca. 1854 for William R. Johnson, (1813-1893), physician, planter, and legislator in what was then Marion District. Johnson, an 1838 graduate of the Medical College of S.C., later served in the S.C. House of Representatives 1852-55 and the S.C. Senate 1860-63; he died here in 1893 and is buried at nearby Hopewell Presbyterian Church.
After Walter L. Rankin of N.C. acquired the house in 1902, Mrs. Rankin named it "The Columns"; it is still owned by his descendants. It has been called "Carolina Hall" since 1934, when it was the model for the plantation house in the movie Carolina, starring Janet Gaynor and Lionel Barrymore. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Erected 2000 by the Pee Dee Committee, The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina. (Marker Number 21-12.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of The Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence SC 29506, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Francis Marion Memorial Highway (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hewn-Timber Cabins (approx. 2.2 miles away); Jamestown (approx. 2.3 miles away); Atomic Bomb Accident at Mars Bluff, March 11, 1958 (approx. 2.3 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); American Legion Post #1 / 2nd Lieutenant Fred H. Sexton (approx. 3.2 miles away); Mt. Zion Rosenwald School (approx. 3.3 miles away); Mt. Zion Methodist Church (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Also see . . . South Carolina Department of Archives and History. (Submitted on November 6, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US •
More. Search the internet for William R. Johnson House / The Columns.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,236 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 5. submitted on November 6, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.