Near Perdue Hill in Monroe County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Piache, an Indian town visited by DeSoto in 1540 was near here.
DeLuna made a settlement here, Nanipacna in 1560.
Fort Claiborne was erected on the south bluff, in 1813.
LaFayette was entertained here, 1825.
Erected by the Alabama Society of Colonial Dames. March 1939
Erected 1939 by Alabama Society of Colonial Dames.
Location. 31° 32.684′ N, 87° 30.777′ W. Marker is near Perdue Hill, Alabama, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 84 and Old Fort Claiborne Road, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 84. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perdue Hill AL 36470, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Claiborne (here, next to this marker); Fort Claiborne (approx. ¼ mile away); Perdue Hill Industrial School (approx. 1½ miles away); Dellet-Bedsole Plantation (approx. 1.6 miles away); William B. Travis House C. 1820 (approx. 2.1 miles away); Masonic Lodge No. 3 (approx. 2.2 miles away); John Murphy (approx. 5.4 miles away); French's Chapel (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perdue Hill.
Also see . . . Tristán de Luna y Arellano from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (Submitted on September 26, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 729 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.