Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Val Verde County Courthouse Square
Soon after formation of the county, the Limestone Jail was built here on a corner of the public square. During construction of the courthouse, it provided additional office space. A three-story annex to the building was completed later.
The Limestone Courthouse was constructed at this site in 1887. Architects were A. O. Watson and Jacob Larmour of Austin, designers of Courthouses in Milam and Comanche Counties. Built by the contracting firm of Hood and McLeod, it features classical revival detailing and octagonal corner turrets.
As the area population increased, the buildings were modified to provide for the expansion of services. A separate facility for the Sheriff's office and county prisoners was completed in 1956, and the old jail was remodeled for use by other departments.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commisson. (Marker Number 5626.)
Location. 29° 21.575′ N, 100° 53.862′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is on Pecan Street 0.3 miles south of East Garfield Street (U.S. 277), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 block of Pecan Street, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); John Taini (about 500 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Del Rio (about 500 feet away); Old Del Rio National Bank Building (about 600 feet away); City of Del Rio (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cassinelli Gin House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Perry Building (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 34 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 16, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?