Niagara Falls in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
blockhouses built 1764 by
Montresor to protect the
Army of Bradstreet from
Indian massacres on march
Erected 1938 by State Education Department.
Location. 43° 5.449′ N, 79° 2.727′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Portage Road south of Ferry Avenue, on the right when traveling north. This historic marker is located in the middle of the block, between Ferry Avenue and Byrd Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 495 Portage Road, Niagara Falls NY 14303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas V. Welch (approx. ¼ mile away); Portage Road (approx. ¼ mile away); Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church Complex (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Falls Portage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Portage Road The Most Combat Decorated World War II Soldier (approx. 0.6 miles away); Niagara Falls Medal of Honor Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Native Americans •
More. Search the internet for Old Blockhouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 495 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.