Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Old Factory Store
In 1799 Franklin founder Abram Maury sold Lot 20 to Joseph McBride. By 1825 Dyer Pearl, Thomas Parkes, and Joseph L. Campbell operated a steam-powered cotton & grist mill on East Margin and owned Lot 20 upon which was built a brick store in the Greek Revival style, complete with four distinctive Doric columns supporting a Grecian pediment. Other antebellum owners included Anderson & Baldwin (1833), Plunkett & Parkes (1843), M.G.L. Claiborne (1855), Spencer & McCoy (1858). On December 12, 1862 U.S. Brig. Gen. David Stanley ordered the machinery at the cotton factory and the stones of the grist mill destroyed but he spared the factory store after taking four wagon loads of flour and a wagon full of whiskey.
Erected 2005 by Williamson County Historical Society.
Location. 35° 55.578′ N, 86° 52.007′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on East Main St (U.S. 31) west of 1st Avenue North, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original St. Philip Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); John H. Eaton (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Philip Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Headquarters (about 400 feet away); Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry / Lillie Mills Ewen Cameron (about 500 feet away); Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street / "Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.