San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign
A hacienda owner in Coahuila, Elizondo initially joined Father Miguel Hidalgo’s rebellion against Spanish authority, but soon switched to the royalists. In 1811 he helped lead Hidalgo and other republicans into an ambush near Monclova.
In June 1813 Elizondo brought 300 additional royalist soldiers into Texas to oppose the republicans of the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition. Hoisting their green flag of rebellion, a combined force of Mexican patriots and U.S. adventurers had routed royalist units and declared Texas an independent republic.
On June 20, 1813, Elizondo prepared to attack the insurgents on the western edge of San Antonio de Bexar. They surprised him instead at the battle of Alazan and drove him back to the Rio Grande. Returning later that summer as one of royalist General Joaquin de Arredondo’s line officers, Elizondo fought at the battle of Medina where, on August 18, 1813, royalists won the largest battle in North America prior to the Civil War.
Occupying Bexar, Arredondo dispatched Elizondo to chase the survivors to the Louisiana border. He captured more than 100 and executed 71. During the return march, an insane royalist officer
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 29° 51.538′ N, 97° 53.936′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on Old Bastrop Road 0.8 miles south of San Marcos Highway (Texas Highway 80), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charles Lewis McGehee Cabin (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the First Town of San Marcos (approx. ¼ mile away); Gen. Antonio Gaona’s 1836 Campaign (was approx. 1.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); El Camino De Nacogdoches (was approx. 2.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Calaboose (approx. 3 miles away); The Courthouses of Hays County (approx. 3 miles away); San Marcos Springs (approx. 3 miles away); The Old Triangle (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Also see . . . ENV’s Old San Antonio Road report leads to Hays County historical markers (pdf file). Article describing this and other marker dedication. See page 8. (Submitted on October 7, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 551 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.