Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In Garden Cities of To-morrow (1898), Sir Ebenezer Howard of Great Britain initiated the Garden City Movement by proposing well planned, self-sustainable communities designed to provide the amenities of the city in a rural setting. The movement emphasized providing opportunities for social and cultural development within the community and embraced open space, convenience of nearby commercial businesses, and low rents. The developments were typically apartment units or duplexes. Wright became
Paramount Communities, Inc. started construction of Buckingham Village in 1937 with its first unit opening to residents the same year. Constructed in six phases, Wright designed the initial phase of the community before his death in 1936. His basic site plan, principles, and influence, however, were continued throughout the subsequent planning by his former employee, Allan Kamstra. Following the tenets of the Garden City Movement, the early development of Buckingham Village predominately featured two-story Colonial Revival-styled multi-family dwellings made distinct by varying roof types (gable or hipped) and door surrounds. The U-shaped buildings were oriented around an interior courtyard, which created open green spaces that served as recreational areas. Walkways connected the dwellings, courtyards, commercial services, and playgrounds, effectively separating pedestrian and automobile traffic. Constructed within a year of the initial residential buildings, Buckingham Shopping Center eventually included a bank, grocery store, pharmacy, post office, and movie theater.
Several innovative design techniques were used at Buckingham Village, including assembly
(upper left) Henry Wright, 1936. Photograph by Carl Maydens, Courtesy of the library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
(lower left) Aerial photograph of Buckingham Village at the intersection of North Glebe Road and North Pershing Drive, 1940. Courtesy of Arlington County Planning Department.
(lower right) Paramount Community Advertisement, late-1930s. Courtesy of Arlington County Planning Department.
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
Location. 38° 52.319′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4350 4th St N, Arlington VA 22203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington, Virginia Sanctuary (approx. 0.3 miles away); Reeb Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Buckingham (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ball's Crossroads (approx. 0.6 miles away); Welburn Square (approx. 0.7 miles away); Peck Chevrolet (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ballston (approx. ¾ mile away); Washington's Survey Marker (was approx. 0.8 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. The nearby Buckingham provides further information about Buckingham Village discussed on this marker.
Also see . . . Buckingham Village. Additional information about the development of Buckingham Village can be found at this link. (Submitted on October 21, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Wright Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 21, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. 3. submitted on October 4, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 4. submitted on October 21, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. 5. submitted on October 4, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 6. submitted on October 21, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.