New Albany in Floyd County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Buﬀalo Trace Route
Northern route became Federal post road 1800, scheduled stage coach route 1824, and New Albany-Paoli Turnpike 1836 as part of Internal Improvement Act. Became New Albany and Vincennes State Toll Road 1840, was macadamized, and charged tolls until circa 1915. Became part of state highway system. On November 11, 1926 designated Route 150 of Federal Aid Highway System.
Erected 1999 by The Indiana Historical Bureau & the Floyd County Historical Society. (Marker Number 22.1999.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 38° 18.435′ N, 85° 50.509′ Touch for map. Marker is just off State Street, in a grassy median area in front of the Starbucks Coffee shop. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2220 State Street, New Albany IN 47150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scribner High School (approx. 1.8 miles away); Carnegie's Lasting Gifts (approx. 1.8 miles away); New Albany's Carnegie Library (was approx. 1.8 miles away but has been reported missing. ); A Gateway to Freedom (approx. 2 miles away); New Albany National Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Lucy Higgs Nichols (approx. 2.1 miles away); Floyd County Honor Roll & Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Korean Conflict / Vietnam Conflict - Floyd County (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
Categories. • Animals • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Buffalo Trace Route.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2014, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 549 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2014, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2014, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page.