Brightwood in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“Get Down You Fool”
Battleground to Community
—Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On July 9, 1864, some 15,000 Rebels led by General Jubal A. Early defeated Union forces at the Battle of Monocacy near Frederick, Maryland. Early's troops, suffering from the battle and the summer heat, then turned south to march on the lightly defended capital city. But the Monocacy encounter and skirmishes along the Rockville Turnpike gave the Union time to regroup. On the 12th, the Union's fresh troops challenged the Rebels in a fierce but brief fight. Early's forces retreated to Virginia. The only Civil War battle fought in the District of Columbia was over.
President and Mrs. Lincoln both witnessed the afternoon battle. Eyewitness Captain Elijah Hunt Rhodes of Rhode Island recorded the scene: "....[O]n the parapet I saw President Lincoln standing looking at the troops. Mrs. Lincoln and other ladies were sitting in a carriage behind the earthworks. We marched...into a peach orchard in front of Fort Stevens and here the fight began. For a short time it was a warm work,
"Early should have attacked early in the morning."
Abraham Lincoln is the only serving U.S. president to have come under enemy fire.
[ Reverse Marker : ]
Follow the 18 signs of Battleground to Community: Brightwood Heritage Trail to discover the personalities and forces that created this remarkable community.
Battleground to Community: Brightwood Heritage Trail, a free booklet capturing the trail’s highlights, is available in both English and Spanish language editions at local businesses along the way. To learn about other DC neighborhoods, please visit www.CulturalTourismDC.org.
Erected 2008 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 16.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 57.818′ N, 77° 1.737′ W. Marker is in Brightwood, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Quakenbros Street, NW 0.1 miles west of Georgia Avenue, NW, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on Quakenbros Street, west of Georgia Avenue (U.S. Rte 29), just east of 13th Street, NW, and across the street from Fort Stevens. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aunt Betty's Story (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Stevens Fort Stevens (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scale Model of Fort Stevens (about 300 feet away); Lincoln Under Fire at Fort Stevens (about 300 feet away); A Streetcar Named Brightwood (about 500 feet away); Build It And They Will Come (approx. 0.2 miles away); Park and Shop! (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brightwood.
More about this marker. In the upper left is a map titled Plan of Rebel Attack on Washington, D.C., with the caption, Shortly after the Battle of Fort Stevens, U.S. Army Topographic Engineer Robert K. Sneden drew this somewhat inaccurate map of the field of action which stretched from Fort DeRussy to Fort Slocum.
Beside the map is a photo of A century later, members of the Sons of Veterans re-enacted the warning during Lincoln's visit to the 1864 battle.
Below the map is a photo of Maj. Gen. Alexander M. McCook, defender of Fort Stevens, on horseback.
At the bottom
And on the bottom right is a photo of A nearby house sustained major damage from the battle.
A photograph of Union soldiers at Fort Stevens appears at the top of the back of the marker. It has a caption of “Defenders of Fort Stevens in 1865, shortly after the war ended. The fort’s name honors Brig. Gen. Issac Ingalls Stevens, who died at the Battle of Chantilly.” The lower left of the marker features a map of the Brightwood Heritage Trail and indicates the location of the marker.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Follow the Brightwood Heritage Trail.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,352 times since then and 72 times this year. Last updated on April 6, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on October 18, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3. submitted on October 18, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on October 18, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on April 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 13. submitted on May 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.