Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Assessing the Obstacle
After securing Schoolhouse Ridge with his artillery and 14,000 infantry, Jackson labored to open communications with his officers on Maryland and Loudoun heights. Meanwhile, he devised a plan of deception and surprise.
Erected by Harpers Ferry National Historical Park - National Park Service - U.S. Department of the Interior.
Location. 39° 19.335′ N, 77° 46.71′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Bakerton Road (County Route 27), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in the north section of the School House Ridge unit of the Harpers Ferry National Historic Park. The marker is along a walking trail just north of the William L. Wilson Freeway (US 340). The trail is best reached from the parking area on Bakerton Road (CR 27). Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Confederates Converge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Destined for Antietam (about 500 feet away); Fake Attack - September 14th (about 700 feet away); Flag Talk (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Harpers Ferry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Allstadt House (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Dangerous Position (approx. 0.6 miles away); The First Line of Defense: The Union Skirmish Line (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a panoramic depiction of what Jackson's view of Bolivar Heights would have looked like on September 13, 1862. Confederate artillery stands in the foreground. In the background, Union soldiers prepare to defend Harpers Ferry from Confederate assault.
Also see . . . 1862 Battle of Harpers Ferry. National Park Service summary of the battle. (Submitted on May 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,130 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.