Near Alexandria in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Jones Point
Photo Caption: Original District of Columbia Boundary—A 1791 map drawn by Andrew Ellicott, who conducted the land survey for the nation’s capital with Benjamin Banneker. The shaded area, originally part of the District of Columbia, was returned to Virginia in 1846.
Photo Caption: Boundary Stones—Forty boundary stones, erected one per mile, outlined the District. Each included the year (1791 or 1792), the
Photo Caption: Lighthouse—The small white structure, visible in the distance, is the Jones Point Lighthouse. Completed in 1856, it marked the river channel to Washington’s Navy Yard and to Alexandria, the third busiest seaport in the Chesapeake Bay region. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1926. Today the lights of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge orient vessels. Jones Point Lighthouse about 1929.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 38° 46.809′ N, 77° 3.118′ W. Marker is near Alexandria, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Touch for map. Marker can be reached from George Washington Memorial Parkway (near Mile Marker 7.0). Located near the first parking lot of Belle Haven Park. Exit parkway on unnamed road to Belle Haven Marina and then take left turn into parking areas. Marker is along the Mount Vernon Bicycle trail very near the restrooms which are east and north of the parking lot. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonial Fort (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); These Trees (about 700 feet away); Wasteland or Wetland? (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Place to Rest—or Nest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Anatomy of a Tidal Marsh (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. It is the page for the South Boundary Stone Monument, the first national monument.
Also see . . . Jones Point Lighthouse. (Submitted on December 31, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 2,203 times since then and 27 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week March 11, 2012. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 31, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. 6, 7. submitted on June 21, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.