Columbia Heights in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—1804 - 1923 —
Erected by Army and Navy Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 55.293′ N, 77° 2.18′ W. Marker was in Columbia Heights, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker was on 16th Street, NW, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the retaining wall near stairs leading up to Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park. Marker was at or near this postal address: 2420 16th Street, NW, Washington DC 20009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Art for the People (a few steps from this marker); An American Meridian (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park (about 300 feet away); College Hill Visionary and Park Champion (about 300 feet away); Creating the "City Beautiful" (about 300 feet away); Design Challenges (about 300 feet away); Park Designers (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia Heights.
More about this marker. The original "stone," a small freestone obelisk placed in 1804, marked the northern end of 16th Street, NW, at Meridian Hill. This point was directly north of the White House on the so-called Washington or "White House" Meridian, the established east-west longitudinal divide and official starting point for U.S. map makers prior to 1884. In the early 1900s, 16th Street was extended northward, and the stone was lost.
Also see . . . Washington Meridian. (Submitted on December 29, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
1. Establishing and Marking the 16th Street Meridian
Frank L. Cuffey, in Geodetic Letter, March 1936, describes the establishment and marking of the 16th Street meridian:
"In 1804, Nicholas King under the direction of a Mr. Brigg, laid out a meridian through the center of the President's house. This was also established by celestial observation by setting up a transit at the northern door of the President's house and pointing to the star in the tail of the constellation Ursa Minor at its eastern elongation, and continuing the vertical circle to the ground, he determined the bearing, in line of which on very low stand was placed one
— Submitted March 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Additional keywords. astronomy, cartography, navigation, surveying.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,955 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on April 20, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on March 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on December 29, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on April 20, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.