Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
School of Medicine
Front of Marker:
Opened as Alabama Medical College in 1859 in Mobile by Josiah C. Nott and other physicians as part of the University of Alabama. Closed by the Civil War in 1861 it reopened in 1868. Reorganized in 1897, it became the Medical Department and in 1907 the School of Medicine of the University of Alabama. The Mobile School was closed and moved to Tuscaloosa in 1920 as a two year basic medical science program, which was offered through 1944.
The Medical College of Alabama opened in Birmingham with a four-year program in 1945 and became the School of Medicine in 1969. The Medical Center gradually emerged as other schools were established: Dentistry 1948, Nursing 1966, Optometry and Community and Allied Health 1969, and Public Health 1981. The Medical Center and the University College, which evolved out of the University of Alabama Extension Center established in 1935, formed the nucleus of the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 1966.
Erected 1985 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. Touch for map. Marker positioned on the northwest corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 692 19th Street South, Birmingham AL 35233, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Five Points South (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Rainbow Viaduct (approx. 0.6 miles away); Morris Avenue Historic District / Elyton Land Company (Successor, Birmingham Realty Co.) (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Heaviest Corner On Earth (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Berry Project (approx. ¾ mile away); Dewberry Drugs and Phenix Insurance Company Buildings (approx. ¾ mile away); St. Vincent’s Hospital (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Alabama Theatre (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
Categories. • Education • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2010, by Dodson M. Curry of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 945 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on May 29, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 5, 2010, by Dodson M. Curry of Birmingham, Alabama. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.