Hyden in Leslie County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Founder of Frontier Nursing Service
- Born February 17 in Memphis, Tennessee
- Graduated from St. Luke's Hospital School of Nursing in New York City
- Married and lived in Arkansas
- Daughter, Polly, died shortly after birth
- Son, Breckie, died at age four
- Worked in France with the American Committee for Devastated France, studied the work of nurse-midwives in addressing health issues facing mothers and babies
- Traveled on horseback through the mountains of Southeastern Kentucky surveying families on healthcare needs
- Graduated as a nurse-midwife from British Hospital for Mothers and Babies in London, England
- Founded the Kentucky Committee for Mothers and Babies to provide professional healthcare to Eastern Kentucky
With a staff of six nurse-midwives trained in England and Scotland, established the first clinic in Hyden
- Name of the organization was changed to Frontier Nursing Service
Hyden Hospital, first hospital in Leslie County, was completed and dedicated
- Died on May 16 at Wendover
- Mary Breckinridge Hospital was completed and dedicated
- Inducted into the American Nurses Association Hall of Fame
- Inducted into National Women's Hall of Fame
Location. 37° 9.741′ N, 83° 22.653′ W. Marker is in Hyden, Kentucky, in Leslie County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 80 and Kate Ireland Drive, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 80. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hyden KY 41749, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Redbud Capital of the World (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leslie County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Finley Mine Disaster Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sgt. Willie Sandlin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mothers and Babies (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leslie County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hurricane Creek Miner Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hurricane Creek Mine Disaster (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hyden.
Also see . . . Mary Carson Breckinridge - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 14, 2015.)
Categories. Science & Medicine • Women •
More. Search the internet for Mary Breckinridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 14, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.