Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Concrete Central Elevator
The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994.
The Concrete Central Elevator is located between the Buffalo River and the track of the former New York Central Railroad. It is the furthest upstream of any elevator along the Buffalo River. The elevator was financed by Eastern Grain Mill & Elevating Company, and designed by Harry Wait, engineer of the Monarch Engineering Company of Buffalo.
The elevator, built in five sections from 1915 to 1917, is a quarter of a mile long. It was the largest transfer elevator in the world upon its completion. Its 268 bins could store 4.5 million bushels of grain. The Concrete Central was the only elevator able to simultaneously unload three lake freigher, load four canal boats, and load up to 85 rail cars.
The elevator was sold to the Continental Grain Corporation in 1944, and remained a functioning transfer elevator until 1969. Subsequently, it was used to store surplus grain, and closed in 1973.
Erected by The Industrial Heritage Committee, Inc.
Location. 42° 51.386′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo NY 14203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Electric Elevator Annex (here, next to this marker); The Cargill Superior Elevator (here, next to this marker); The American Elevator (here, next to this marker); The Perot Malting Elevator (a few steps from this marker); The Lake and Rail Elevator (a few steps from this marker); The Marine "A" Elevator (a few steps from this marker); The H-O Oats Elevator (a few steps from this marker); The Saskatchewan Pool Elevator (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buffalo.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.