Surfside Beach in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
- Capt. C.W. Howell recommended a system of two converging jetties of “closely-driven palmetto piles” to serve as a channel for a seaport at Velasco.
- Kanter family gets first contract for jetty construction, using local materials to make concrete blocks to form jetty.
- Congress authorized $40,000 to begin the work. Estimated cost was $522,890. Major S.M. Mansfield, Galveston district engineer proposed new design for jetties to consist of brush, stone and concrete.
- Work was begun and continued to 1886 by annual appropriations.
- On Feb. 16, 1888, the Brazos River Channel and Dock Company was organized, receiving authorization from Congress to improve the mouth of the Brazos. From 1889-96 this company was engaged in building two parallel jetties 560 feet apart.
- The company transferred its construction and responsibilities to the United States on April 25.
- Report shows large damage to jetties during storm of Sept. 8, 1900. Congress decided to hold up work until report on cost to repair
- Additional appropriations moved jetty project to completion.
- Dredging completed, channel open for shipping with total responsibility for maintenance of channel and jetties assumed by Galveston District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Brazos River Harbor Navigation District proposes deepening and widening channel.
- Modernization project authorized by Congress.
- Studies completed, plans and specifications approved, contracts were let, construction began.
- Galveston District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers completed project at a cost of $34,652,000, with Anthony J. Bertucci Construction Co., Inc. contractors.
Location. 28° 57.045′ N, 95° 17.161′ W. Marker is in Surfside Beach, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of State Highway 332 and Bluewater Highway (County Road 257). Touch for map. Marker is located on an unnamed street 0.1 miles southeast of the intersection of SH 332, the Bluewater Highway, and Fort Velasco Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Freeport TX 77541, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Velasco (here, next to this marker); Old Velasco, CSA (here, next to this marker); Gulf Intracoastal Waterway The Lively (approx. one mile away); Old Quintana (approx. 1.8 miles away); Freeport National Bank (approx. 3.7 miles away); Stringfellow Ranch (approx. 8.4 miles away); Battle of Jones Creek (approx. 11.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Surfside Beach.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 31, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.