St. George's, Saint George, Grenada
This structure, one of Grenada’s oldest, is in part one of the former French military barracks constructed in 1704. From 1767 to 1880 the British used portions for a prison. Shortly after, the upper floors became the island’s first hotel with the ground floor used as a warehouse. Currently it houses part of the Grenada National Museum. The façade supports a delicate cast iron balcony of which only a few remain in St. George’s.
Sponsored by: Grenada National Trust
Ministry of Tourism
Erected by Grenada National Trust.
Location. 12° 3.027′ N, 61° 45.159′ W. Marker is in St. George's, Saint George. Marker is on Monckton Road just south of Young Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grenada National Museum (a few steps from this marker); St. Andrew's Presbyterian Kirk (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Assassination of Maurice Bishop (about 210 meters away); Sedan Porches (approx. 0.3 Historic Sedan Chair Portico (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Roman Catholic Cathedral (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Destruction of the Bianca C (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Grenada Seamen and Waterfront Workers’ Union (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. George's.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Antilles Hotel.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 11, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 94 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 11, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.