Brule in Douglas County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A short portage at Upper St. Croix Lake connects the Brule and St. Croix river systems. This route became known to French explorers in 1680 and became so important in the early fur-trade that France built forts at each end for its protection. The French lost their North American colony to England in 1763.
Not far from here on October 1, 1842, a Sioux war party led by Old Crow penetrated this territory intent on seeking out small bands of Chippewa. Chief Buffalo of the Chequamegon Bay Chippewa quickly gathered 200 braves to meet the much larger Sioux force. The enemies met at sunset on opposite banks of the Brule. When the Sioux attacked the next morning, two groups sent by Buffalo above and below the Sioux attacked them from the rear. The Sioux suffered a bloody defeat and never again
Long famous as a trout stream, the Brule also is noted for canoeing and the “wild” beauty of its scenery.
Erected 1969 by Wisconsin State Historical Society. (Marker Number 170.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 32.988′ N, 91° 35.17′ W. Marker is in Brule, Wisconsin, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 2 and Ranger Road, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 2. Marker is located in the Brule River Rest Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brule WI 54820, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daniel Greysolon Sieur Dulhut (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Evergreen Park Cottage Sanatorium (approx. 5.9 miles away); Brule-St. Croix Portage (approx. 14.8 miles away); The Brule St. Croix Portage (approx. 14.8 miles away).
Categories. • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Brule River.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 17, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.