New Alsace in Dearborn County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Raider's Steal the Priest's Horses
John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
The Blettner Tavern (now Klump's) was used as Morgan's headquarters, and the Gephard Tavern (now the first house east of Klump's) was where Morgan slept for four hours. In 1863 there were 14 taverns in New Alsace to accommodate the many travelers on this major route from Cincinnati.
Approximately 1,000 feet west of the church is the site of the Yaeger store, which was ransacked by the the Raiders. The widowed Margaretha Yaeger had lost her only son at Vicksburg, Mississippi, in April 1863.
Pursuing Union horsemen entered New Alsace two hours after Morgan's rearguard had departed.
Erected by Historic Hoosier Hills RC&D. (Marker Number 21.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail in marker series.
Location. 39° 14.048′ N, 84° 59.945′ W. Marker is in New Alsace, Indiana, in Dearborn County. Marker is at the intersection of North Dearborn Road and Kildeer Lane, on the left when traveling east on North Dearborn Road. Marker in front of St. Paul Catholic Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9788 N Dearborn Rd, Guilford IN 47022, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General John Morgan (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint John Lutheran Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Dover (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named General John Morgan (approx. 2.8 miles away); St. John The Baptist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Exhausted Morgan Troops (approx. 5½ miles away); a different marker also named General John Morgan (approx. 5.7 miles away); East Fork Stone Chapel (approx. 6 miles away).
Also see . . . Fr Roman Weinzapfel. (Submitted on November 29, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Raider's Steal the Priest's Horses.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 300 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 3. submitted on April 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 29, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.