State's First Female Lawyers
In 1873, Tiffin's Cronise sisters became the first women admitted to the Ohio Bar. At that time, Ohio did not provide for the admission of women attorneys. On April 4th 1873, Nettie Cronise applied to the district court. Despite vigorous opposition, leading local attorneys, including William Harvey Gibson and George Seney, supported Nettie's application. Ironically, at the same time of Nettie's admission, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed Illinois' denial of admission to the bar of another woman based on gender. Regardless, Nettie opened the door for the admission of women to the bar of Ohio. Six months later, Florence, Nettie's younger sister, was admitted. Florence was also the first female notary public in the state. Together the sisters opened the first female-owned law practice in Ohio, N. & F. Cronise
On August 24, 1874 Nettie married former classmate Nelson Lutes and in 1880 the two began to practice law together as Lutes & Lutes, Nettie and Nelson raised three daughters Evlyn, Ellnor, and Lillian. Evlyn became a lawyer and joined Lutes and Lutes in 1905, five years after Nelson's death. Nettie
Erected 2013 by Seneca County Bar Association Ohio State Bar Association Barnes-Deinzer Seneca County Museum Foundation The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-74.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Women. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 4, 1873.
Location. 41° 6.912′ N, 83° 10.588′ W. Marker is in Tiffin, Ohio, in Seneca County. Marker is at the intersection of South Washinton Street and Court Street, on the right when traveling north on South Washinton Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tiffin OH 44883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Founding of Tiffin (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Electric Illumination, 1884 (about 800 feet away); Camp BallFort Ball (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rezin W. Shawhan & the Seneca County Museum (approx. ¼ mile away); Tiffin Train Depot / Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Joseph Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camp Noble (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiffin.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.