Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Klamath in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

UMC Indian Mission

Est 1876

 
 
UMC Indian Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Douglass Halvorsen, July 6, 2014
1. UMC Indian Mission Marker
Inscription.  
Built in part with lumber from abandoned
post at Fort Klamath. First pastor - Rev.
J. H. Roork. First board - Lisa and Alec
Wilson, David Hill and Seldon Kirk.

 
Erected 1982 by Klamath County Historical Society-klamath County Historical Landmark Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionForts and CastlesNative Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
 
Location. 42° 30.984′ N, 121° 55.148′ W. Marker is in Fort Klamath, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker can be reached from Modoc Point Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Klamath OR 97626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Klamath Tribes (approx. 4.6 miles away); Williamson River (approx. 8.9 miles away); Collier Memorial Logging Museum (approx. 8.9 miles away); Stout Abner (approx. 9 miles away); Klamath Fish Hatchery (approx. 9.4 miles away); Crystal Recreation Area
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 9˝ miles away); Denny Creek (approx. 10.3 miles away); The First Sawmill (approx. 12.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Klamath.
 
More about this marker. Located in front of the Williamson River Indian Mission United Methodist Church
 
Regarding UMC Indian Mission. This historical marker is part of a series of historical 'T' markers located all around Klamath County and commissioned by the Klamath County Historical Society.


The Fort Klamath reference on the marker is to a former Fort Klamath army post that was located about 4-5 miles north of here. It was built by the government in 1863 for protection of incoming settlers into Klamath County from Indian attacks that were becoming more common at the time. The site is now a museum-park open seasonally during the year. The post was abandoned in the late 1880s.
 
UMC Indian Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Douglass Halvorsen, July 6, 2014
2. UMC Indian Mission Marker
UMC Indian Mission image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Douglass Halvorsen, July 6, 2014
3. UMC Indian Mission
UMC Indian Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Douglass Halvorsen, July 6, 2014
4. UMC Indian Mission Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 7, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=100279

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024