Aiken in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Aiken First Baptist Church
This church, founded in 1805, predates the city of Aiken and was first called Levels Baptist Church. Its first location was a mile south of present-day Aiken. In 1836 the congregation joined with the members of the Wise Creek congregation to build a sanctuary here, on land deeded by the S.C. Railroad and Canal Co. They renamed their congregation Aiken Baptist Church. The frame church burned in 1876 and was replaced in 1878.
The third church, a Gothic Revival sanctuary, was built in 1919. The kindergarten, founded in 1946, was one of the first church kindergartens in S.C. The present Classical Revival sanctuary was built and dedicated in 1958. Aiken First Baptist is the mother of four churches: Hispanic, Marion St., Memorial, and North Aiken. Its cemetery, dating from 1838, includes the graves of both Union and Confederate soldiers.
Erected 2005 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 2-29.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1805.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Chesterfield Street North, Aiken SC 29801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Defense of Aiken (within shouting distance of this marker); Aiken County Confederate Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Detection of the Neutrino, 1956 / The Nobel Prize In Physics, 1995 (about 400 feet away); Aiken County 125th Anniversary (about 400 feet away); Battle of Aiken (about 500 feet away); St. John's Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Survey of Aiken (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Aiken, Sr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); H. Odell Weeks (approx. ¼ mile away); Aiken County (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aiken.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. More about S.C. Railroad and Canal Co.
Also see . . . South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. Chartered in 1827, the South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company ran scheduled steam service over its 136-mile (219 km) line from Charleston, South Carolina, to Hamburg, South Carolina. (Submitted on January 5, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,494 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.