Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Tripoli Monument
To the memory of Somers, Caldwell, Decatur, Wadsworth, Dorsey, Israel.
The love of Glory inspired them, Fame has crowned their deeds, History records the event. The Children of Columbia admire and Commerce laments their fall.
Erected in the memory of Captain Richard Somers, Lieutenant James Caldwell, James Decatur, Henry Wadsworth, Joseph Israel, and John Dorsey who fell in the difficult attacks that were made on the city of Tripoli in the Year of our Lord 1804 and in the 28 Year of the independence of the United States.
As a small tribute of respect to their memory and of Admiration of their valour so worthy of imitation their brother officers have erected this monument
GioI. Charles Micali Invenio In Livorno 1806
Topics. This memorial monument is listed in this topic list: Heroes.
Location. 38° 58.988′ N, 76° 29.255′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Memorial can be reached from Decatur Road. On the US Naval Academy Campus.Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Tripoli Monument (here, next to this marker); Leahy Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Sampson Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Preble Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The English Frigate “Augusta” (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Naval Academy Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); 14cm 3.5 inch Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Made from USS Lexington Recycled Plastic Waste (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
More about this monument. This monument was installed at the Navy Yard in Washington DC in 1808. It was moved to the US Capitol in 1831 and moved again to the US Naval Academy in 1860. It was originally called "The Naval Monument".
Additional keywords. First Barbary War
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 28, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 30, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 10, 11, 12. submitted on January 5, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.