Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
1st Ohio Infantry
Baldwin’s Brigade - Johnson’s Division
— 20th Army Corps. —
20th Army Corps.
Rear of monument
This Regiment, Lieut. Col. Bassett Langdon commanding, on the 19th Sept. 1863, at 12:00 M. advanced with its brigade from the Kelly place to this position. It participated in the fighting during that advanced, and also in the resistance to the attack made from 6:30 to 7:30 PM by Cleburne’s and part of Cheatham’s divisions.
Sept. 20 it occupied a position east of the Kelly field, from daylight till ordered to retire to Rossville in the evening. The division was temporarily attached to the 14th Army Corps.
Losses, Kill 13; Wounded 96; captured or missing 33; total 142
Erected 1894 by State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-946.)
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 19, 1863.
Location. 34° 55.521′ N, 85° 14.522′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. This monument is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philemon P. Baldwin Memorial Shell Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); 33rd Ohio Infantry Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); 38th Indiana Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Scribner’s Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 15th Ohio Infantry (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Scribner's Brigade (about 300 feet away); Baldwin's Brigade (about 300 feet away); Battery A, 1st Michigan (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. According to the National Park Service, the monument is made for Granite and sites on a Limestone base. C. H. Niehaus was the sculptor and the Vermont Granite Co., Barre, VT was the Architect. This monument was created in 1894 and is 7' x 3' x 9' monument consists of a single, round-topped slab. Lower portion is articulated as a base with unit identification in raised letters and state seal. Upper portion is slightly recessed and has relief of a soldier at parade rest. A bronze plaque on the rear of the monument describes the actions of the 1st Ohio infantry on Sept 19-20, 1863.
Also see . . .
1. 1st Ohio Infantry. (Submitted on December 30, 2016, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Battle of Chickamauga. (Submitted on December 30, 2016, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
3. Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park. National Park Service (Submitted on February 1, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2016, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 207 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 30, 2016, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.