Santo Domingo Xenacoj, Sacatepéquez, Guatemala
Parish of Santo Domingo Xenacoj
Este templo se principió a construir el año 1580 por Fray Benito de Villacañas.
Se terminó de construir en el año de 1604.
Se bendijo solemnemente el 15 de septiembre de 1604 por Monseñor Fray Juan Ramirez O.P.
4º Arzobispo de Santiago de Ghoatemala
Junto a las imágenes de Santo Domingo,
Jesus Crucificado y la Virgen del Rosario
Fray Francisco Ximenez escribe
parte de la Historia de Ghoatemala
siendo cura de este lugar en 1717.
Es elevado a la categoría de
Cuaciparroquia en febrero de 1985.
Es elevado a la categoría de
parroquia el 3 de julio de 1999.
Es restaurado totalmente después de
su deterioro el 31 de marzo del 2001.
Xenacoj Dic. 2002.
Construction on this temple began in 1580 by Fray Benito de Villacañas.
Construction was finished in 1604.
It was solemnly blessed on September 15, 1604 by Monsignor Fray Juan Ramirez O.P.,
the 4th Archbishop of Santiago
together with the images of Santo Domingo,
Jesus Crucified and the Virgin of the Rosary
Fray Francisco Ximenez wrote
part of his History of Ghoatemala
while serving as a priest here in 1717.
It is elevated to the category of Quasi-parish in February 1985.
It is elevated to the category of Parish on July 3, 1999.
It was fully restored after its deterioration on March 31, 2001.
Xenacoj, December 2002.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1985.
Location. 14° 40.825′ N, 90° 42.072′ W. Marker is in Santo Domingo Xenacoj, Sacatepéquez. The marker is on the left just after entering the internal parking and museum area to the right of the church, which is to the east of Xenacoj's central plaza. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santo Domingo Xenacoj, Sacatepéquez 03005, Guatemala. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tree of Saint Peter (approx. 5.3 kilometers away); Reconstruction After Guatemala's 1976 Earthquake (approx. 8.6 kilometers away); The Road Workers Monument (approx. 8.9 kilometers away); Battle of San Lucas MonumentSaint Sebastian Catholic Church of El Tejar (approx. 10.5 kilometers away in Chimaltenango); General Justo Rufino Barrios (approx. 12.9 kilometers away in Chimaltenango); Chimaltenango Memorial to the Victims of Guatemala's Armed Conflict (approx. 12.9 kilometers away in Chimaltenango); José Simeon Cañas (approx. 12.9 kilometers away in Chimaltenango).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 6, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 6, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.