St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Georgia Navy
During the American Revolution four heavily-armed row galleys were constructed in Savannah for the Georgia Navy, all underwritten by the Continental Congress. In nearby Frederica River, beginning at dawn on April 19, 1778, Georgia galleys Lee, Washington, and Bulloch, commanded by Colonel Samuel Elbert, attacked HM brigantine Hinchinbrook, the armed sloop Rebecca, and an armed watering brig. The British attempted to retaliate, but were out-gunned and out-maneuvered. As they tried to gain an advantage by moving down river their ships grounded, were abandoned, and captured. This remarkable victory boosted patriot morale and delayed by more than eight months the British invasion of Georgia.
Erected 2005 by Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Society Sons of the American Revolution, Coastal Georgia Historical Society, and the Fort Frederica National Monument. (Marker Number 63-6.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & VesselsGeorgia Historical Society, and the Sons of the American Revolution series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1808.
Location. 31° 13.338′ N, 81° 23.19′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Mimosa Drive/W. Point Road, 0 miles Frederica Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located just past the entrance to Fort Frederica National Monument. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bartram Trail (here, next to this marker); St. Simons Island (a few steps from this marker); Reverends John & Charles Wesley / Wesley Memorial Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederica - Military Road (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederica - Old Burial Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Wesley Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); Strong Walls From Refuse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,302 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on September 20, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.