Near Clear Lake in Deuel County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Hidewood Creek Rest Area
Due east of these rest areas, the valley land looks much as it did before the pioneers came to this country. This area is part of the drainage of Hidewood Creek, located one-and one-half miles south of here. Hidewood's name comes from the prairie past of this territory. Following the War of the Outbreak (also called the Great Sioux Uprising) in Minnesota in 1862, many Sioux fled into this area, where they took refuge in clumps of timber along this creek. Thus, the name Hidewood.
This area contains many of the threads that were woven into the settlement of Dakota Territory. These rest areas are in Deuel County, which was created in 1862 by the first Territorial Legislature. In 1872 one of the first railroads penetrated into Dakota Territory at present-day Gary, 20 miles northeast of here, prior to settlement of much of this region. In pioneer days the status of a county seat was a clear distinction for a community, and many bitter wrangles preceded final selection. Clear Lake contested with Gary until 1890, when Clear Lake was finally successful in gaining the coveted status. For such winners, there were also losers; Castlewood,
There is no singular historic distinction to this particular rest area site, other than that it is a part of the stage for greater happenings, a witness to the tides of history.
Erected by State of South Dakota.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 44° 42.067′ N, 96° 50.867′ W. Marker is near Clear Lake, South Dakota, in Deuel County. Marker is on U.S. I-29 at milepost 160,, 3 miles 188th Street. Marker can be reached from Interstate 29 at milepost 160, 3 miles from 188th St. This rest area is only reachable going South on Interstate 29. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clear Lake SD 57226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hidewood Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tabor Evangelical Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Castlewood, South Dakota Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.7 miles away); District No. 5 Public School (approx. 13.7 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 372 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.