Near Richmond in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Village of Bensley
— Falling Creek Ironworks Park —
Historic Village Of Bensley
Created by Albert Bensley in 1909, the Village of Bensley was marketed as a modem, convenient streetcar suburb — only 20 minutes from Richmond on the electric Interurban line. This was one of the ﬁrst planned communities in the county. It was unnecessary to own an automobile to enjoy suburban life in Bensley. It offered homeowners an affordable residential setting situated at a “beautiful and healthful elevation overlooking the James" complete with electricity, pure Chesterfield water, sewer facilities and high speed interurban railway access.
During summer months, Bensley residents rode the streetcars to the Bellwood picnic grove and to amusement parks including Petersburg Lakemont Park and Richmond's Forest Hill Park.
The trolley also provided city dwellers an opportunity to escape the heat by riding the electric line to the old Falling Creek swimming hole and campsites at the Village of Bensley. Families from Richmond, Manchester and Petersburg
Bensley developed the acreage surrounding the plantation home into Bensley village. Notable historic features of the Bensley community are the Falling Creek Ironworks and Wayside Park, (Virginia’s first state wayside), where the famous double-arched bridge designed by Claudius Crozet and completed in 1828 was once part of the Manchester-Petersburg turnpike. The turnpike was designed in 1816 and was a leading engineering design — it was one of the first of the state highway system.
Bensley Village Map
The William Stubbs home is the second oldest home in Bensley built in 1905. It has remained within the family and was operated as a tourist home for many years. The home was occupied by David Walker, former Chesterfield County treasurer and his son H.B. Walker, former commissioner of revenue.
The Glenconner home originally called Chester Hill, was built in 1843 and is the oldest home in Bensley. It was designated
Erected 2016 by Falling Creek Ironworks Foundation, Chesterfield Heritage Alliance.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 37° 26.269′ N, 77° 26.306′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) and Marina Drive, on the right when traveling north. Located in Falling Creek Ironworks Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6407 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Richmond VA 23237, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Route 1 (a few steps from this marker); Falling Creek Iron Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Natural History (within shouting distance of this marker); Cultural History (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Historic Village of Bensley (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Historic Route 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Falling Creek Stone Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Falling Creek Ironworks (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Falling Creek Ironworks Foundation. (Submitted on January 26, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2017, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 480 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 26, 2017, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.