Gaithersburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
General Edward Braddock
Erected by the Maryland Historic Trust and the Maryland State Highway Administration.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Braddock’s Road and Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1755.
Location. 39° 8.296′ N, 77° 11.657′ W. Marker is in Gaithersburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 355) and South Summit Avenue on South Frederick Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 South Frederick Avenue, Gaithersburg MD 20877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schwartz House / City Hall (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gaithersburg Wye Wells-Robertson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); History and Purpose of the Gaithersburg Latitude Observatory (approx. ¼ mile away); Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaithersburg.
More about this marker. “Teams” meant teams of mules, horses, wagons, and their drivers, to be used to transport supplies for the army on their trek west to fight the French and Indians.
Benjamin Franklin brokered the rental of teams from Pennsylvania, and Maryland farmers and guaranteed the payments.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Montgomery County and 1755: A war a Tavern and a Park. 2005 article in The Preservationist. “General Braddock left Alexandria, Virginia, on April 19th in a six-horse ‘chariot’ bought from Governor Sharpe of Maryland.” (Submitted on May 9, 2007.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 5,719 times since then and 164 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 9, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.