Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Holy Trinity in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Spanish Fort, 1689-1691

 
 
Spanish Fort, 1689-1691 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, February 4, 2017
1. Spanish Fort, 1689-1691 Marker
Inscription.  East of here, on the Chattahoochee River, was the "fort among the Apalachicolas," most northern of the Spanish settlements in eastern North America. A palisaded "strong house" built by Captain Enrique Primo de Rivera to check activities of English traders, it was destroyed when the garrison was called to St. Augustine because of a threatened attack by the French. Undisturbed except by natural forces, the ruins remained visible but unrecognized for 250 years. Research by Mark E. Fretwell and a search of the ground by Brother Finbar Ray led to their identification and designation as a National Historic Landmark in 1966.
 
Erected 1986 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Russell County Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesLandmarksSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1966.
 
Location. 32° 13.239′ N, 85° 0.352′ W. Marker is in Holy Trinity, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker is at the intersection of Alabama
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Route 165 and Terminal Road (Route 54), on the right when traveling north on State Route 165. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Holy Trinity AL 36859, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bartram's Trail (approx. 4 miles away); Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church / Macedonia School (approx. 4˝ miles away); Fryar Field (approx. 4.8 miles away); Fort McCreary – 1836 (approx. 5.4 miles away in Georgia); Indian Trail (approx. 6.1 miles away in Georgia); Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation (approx. 8.2 miles away in Georgia); Pokkecheta, or the Ball Play (approx. 8.6 miles away); J.W. and Ethel I. Woodruff Foundation Interpretive Trail (approx. 8.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the Apalachicola Fort Site. (Submitted on February 4, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Apalachicola Fort Site image. Click for full size.
Public Domain (NPS)
2. Apalachicola Fort Site
A National Historic Landmark site where Spain established a wattle and daub blockhouse here on the Chattahoochee River in 1690 in an attempt to maintain influence among the Lower Creek people. Abandoned after about one year of use and rediscovered in 1956. It is located on privately held farmland, and turned over to the county in 1971. It is not open to the public.
View north on Alabama Highway 165 & entrance to the Blessed Trinity Shrine Retreat. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, February 4, 2017
3. View north on Alabama Highway 165 & entrance to the Blessed Trinity Shrine Retreat.
View of Terminal Road that leads East from marker. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, February 4, 2017
4. View of Terminal Road that leads East from marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 18, 2024. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,137 times since then and 321 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 4, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=101252

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024