Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gen. Winfield Scott used the partially completed structure as his headquarters when, in 1836, he commanded the U.S. troops sent to this region to quell an Indian uprising which threatened Columbus and other West Georgia settlements.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #13 Millard Fillmore, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 32° 28.125′ N, 84° 59.505′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Avenue and Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1204 1st Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Black Public School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away); Kirven's Department Store (about 400 feet away); Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); City of Columbus (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.