Wewahitchka in Gulf County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Place, or Richard's Fort, five miles south, erected in the early 1800's is considered as the forerunner of Wewahitchka. People lived in the area earlier. Wewahitchka (Indian name for water eyes), first permanent settlement in now Gulf County, was named by Rev. John W. Richards in 1875 upon completion of the log church and school built to serve approximately 25 families. Citrus groves, apiaries, livestock and timber supported the early settlers. First paper was the Calhoun Times in 1883.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 30° 6.909′ N, 85° 11.926′ W. Marker is in Wewahitchka, Florida, in Gulf County. Marker is at the intersection of North 2nd Street and Court Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 North 2nd Street, Wewahitchka FL 32465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gulf County Old Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Fort Gadsden (approx. 16.7 miles away); "Milly Francis" (approx. 16.7 miles away); British Fort Magazine (approx. 16.7 miles away); Steamship Tragedy (approx. 16.7 miles away); Fort Crèvecoeur (approx. 17.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 606 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.