Barlow Bend in Clarke County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Erected here in 1810 by John French of Virginia,
who organized Methodist congregation here 1811.
Combined with Gainestown Church 1897.
Erected by Clarke County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1810.
Location. 31° 27.381′ N, 87° 38.189′ W. Marker is in Barlow Bend, Alabama, in Clarke County. Marker is on Barlow Bend Road, 0.2 miles north of Madison Road (Route 33), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Barlow Bend Road, Gainestown AL 36540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Canoe Fight (approx. 0.9 miles away); Gainestown (approx. 3.4 miles away); Fort Madison-Creek War 1812-13 (approx. 6.7 miles away); William B. Travis House (approx. 9.2 miles away); Masonic Lodge No. 3 John Murphy (approx. 9.2 miles away); Perdue Hill Industrial School (approx. 9.2 miles away); Fort Claiborne (approx. 9.4 miles away).
Regarding French's Chapel. Until the Civil War, the settlement near the church was also known as French's Chapel.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.