Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winn in Clarke County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fort Landrum Site

 
 
Fort Landrum Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
1. Fort Landrum Site Marker
Inscription.  
Built around the home of John Landrum
Used during the Creek War of 1813
First Clarke County Court met here in 1813
Succeeding courts were held here until 1819

 
Erected 1977 by Clarke County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesGovernment & PoliticsWars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
 
Location. 31° 40.067′ N, 87° 54.705′ W. Marker is in Winn, Alabama, in Clarke County. Marker is on Berrys Chapel Road, 0.7 miles north of Winn Road (Route 3), on the right when traveling north. Located in front of the Berry's Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Berrys Chapel Road, Jackson AL 36545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Methodist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Clarke County Courthouse Site (approx. 4.6 miles away); Elijah & Isaac Pugh (approx. 5.2 miles away); King Institute (approx. 5.8 miles away); Upper Salt Works (approx. 6.4 miles away); Clarke County Courthouse (approx. 8.3 miles away); Grove Hill, Alabama (approx. 8.4 miles away); Josiah and Lucy Martin Mathews Cabin (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
Regarding Fort Landrum Site. Fort
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Landrum, a stockaded fort, was a settlers' refuge. Nearby was another settlers' fort called Mott's Fort (1813).
 
Fort Landrum Site Marker in front of cemetery. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
2. Fort Landrum Site Marker in front of cemetery.
View of marker, on right, looking north on Berrys Chapel Road. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
3. View of marker, on right, looking north on Berrys Chapel Road.
Marker at the Berry's Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
4. Marker at the Berry's Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 6, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 656 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=101584

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024