Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1844 Benjamin Ticknor, a U.S. naval surgeon from Connecticut, built this Classic Revival house on his 183-acre farm in Pittsfield Township. He used cobblestone construction, which originated in upstate New York. The rear wing includes a small frame house, first occupied in 1835 by his brother Heman Ticknor, farm manager and township leader. At Dr. Ticknor's death in 1858, his extensive medical and classical library was given to the University of Michigan. The home was listed in the Historic American Building Survey in 1936.
In 1881 Scottish immigrant William Campbell, an educator from Ypsilanti, purchased this house on a 223-acre farm. He and his son Clair raised grain, hogs, and purebred prize cattle. Farming continued on this site until 1955. For ninety-one years three generations of the Campbell family retained the house essentially unchanged. In 1972 the city of Ann Arbor purchased it for use as a pioneer farm museum, and it was placed in the national and Michigan historic registers.
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1844.
Location. 42° 14.696′ N, 83° 42.638′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on Packard Street. Marker is in Buhr Park near the intersection of Packard Street and the park road, about 0.3 miles west of the Packard Street/East Eisenhower Parkway intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2781 Packard Street, Ann Arbor MI 48108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 50 Years of Friendship (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Terhune Memorial Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Delta Sigma Delta (approx. 2.1 miles away); Delta Upsilon Fraternity (approx. 2.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church Cornerstone (approx. 2.3 miles away); Nichols Arboretum (approx. 2.3 miles away); Four World Records (approx. 2.3 miles away); Phi Delta Theta Fraternity House (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 420 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 7, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.