Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
College Station in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Shiloh Community

 
 
Shiloh Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, March 8, 2017
1. Shiloh Community Marker
Inscription.  Settled in the 1860s by Czech, German, and Polish immigrants, the Shiloh community was an area of large family farms. In addition to homes and farms, the settlement at one time boasted a community center, a two-room school, a vineyard, a mill, and a blacksmith shop.

The families of Shiloh community maintained a cooperative relationship, often helping each other with planting, harvesting, barn building, and other activities. In 1883, to coordinate assistance efforts and group purchases of farm supplies, they formed the Slavonic Agricultural and Benevolent Society, which still exists in reorganized form as the Shiloh Club. The community later was completely encompassed by the City of College Station.

Mrs. William G. Rector deeded land at this site to the local Methodist Church in 1870 for use as a community cemetery. The property later was acquired by the City of College Station, which established a larger city cemetery around the original Shiloh Graveyard. Although little remains of the Shiloh community, this cemetery serves as a reminder of a once-thriving settlement.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8696.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 30° 36.292′ N, 96° 18.413′ W. Marker is in College Station, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Texas Avenue (State Highway 68) and Krenek Tap Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is just inside the entrance to Memorial Cemetery of College Station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2530 S Texas Ave, College Station TX 77840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Luke Patranella Memorial Center (within shouting distance of this marker); A & M College Consolidated Rural School (approx. 1.2 miles away); African American Education in College Station (approx. 1˝ miles away); Colonel Joe T. Haney Field (approx. 1.8 miles away); Texas A&M Cadet Edwin O. Bellinger ’36 Memorial Bugle Stand (approx. 1.8 miles away); “The Spirit of ’02” (approx. 1.9 miles away); Texas A&M University (approx. 1.9 miles away); J.V. "Pinky" Wilson (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Station.
 
Shiloh Community Marker Location image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, March 8, 2017
2. Shiloh Community Marker Location
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 708 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102000

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2024