New Hartford in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
First Meeting House
meeting house of New Hartford and on these
very foundations the second church was built
in 1829. After 1854 it was no longer used as a place
of worship and was finally removed in 1929.
For one hundred and fifteen years four
pastors ministered here to the townspeople until
these turned more and more from agriculture
to manufacturing and made their homes in the
adjacent valleys north and south.
Reverend Jonathan Marsh 1739-1791
Reverend Edward D. Griffin 1795-1801
Reverend Amasa Jerome 1802-1813
Reverend Cyrus Yale 1814-1854
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 51.163′ N, 72° 59.948′ W. Marker is in New Hartford, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker can be reached from Hoppen Road 0.1 miles east of Route 219. The marker faces the inside of the foundation. Hoppen Road is behind it. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Hartford Soldiers Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); New Hartford Remembers (approx. 2.1 miles away); Satan’s Kingdom (approx. 2.1 miles away); Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away); New Hartford (approx. 2.2 miles away); Collinsville, Town of Canton (approx. 4.8 miles away); Collinsville’s Powerhouse Station No. 3 (approx. 4.8 miles away); a different marker also named Collinsville, Town of Canton (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Hartford.
Also see . . . New Hartford, CT. (Submitted on March 19, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 19, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.