Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

17th Georgia Infantry

Benning's Brigade

— Law's Hood's, Division —

 
 
17th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, August 23, 2016
1. 17th Georgia Infantry Marker
Inscription.  
C.S.A.
Georgia.
17th Infantry
Lieutenant Colonel Charles W. Matthews.
Benning's Brigade.
Law's Hood's, Division.
4 p.m., September 19, 1863.

 
Erected 1898 by State of Georgia. (Marker Number MT-1306.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 19, 1863.
 
Location. 34° 54.302′ N, 85° 15.684′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is on LaFayette Road north of Viniard Road, on the right when traveling north. This monument is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, and is one of a number of monuments, markers, and tablets that are situated near the site of the battle era, log school house. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harker's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Benning's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); 35th Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 20th Georgia Infantry
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); 2nd Georgia Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 8th Kansas Volunteer Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Heg's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Wood's Division (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
 
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, "A rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a cartridge box carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 19, 1863, at 4:00 p.m."

I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the marker number for this monument and the monument's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP Monument Numbering
17th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, August 23, 2016
2. 17th Georgia Infantry Marker
View of the monument looking north along the LaFayette Road.
System).”
 
17th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, August 23, 2016
3. 17th Georgia Infantry Marker
View of the monument at the edge of the clearing, near the tree-line, where the woods begin.
17th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, August 23, 2016
4. 17th Georgia Infantry Marker
View of the backside of the monument, looking south along the LaFayette Road.
17th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, August 23, 2016
5. 17th Georgia Infantry Marker
View of the monument looking southeast, towards the line of Georgia Regimental monuments and the Confederate Brigade tablet, that this monument is a part of.
17th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, August 23, 2016
6. 17th Georgia Infantry Marker
View of the monument looking northwest, across the LaFayette Road, towards the line of Georgia Regimental monuments that this monument is a part of.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 23, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102172

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024