Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pascagoula in Jackson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Camp Jefferson Davis

 
 
Camp Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
1. Camp Jefferson Davis Marker
Inscription.  Authorized on February 22, 1848, by President James K. Polk, this camp was situated on a peninsula just south of Pascagoula called Greenwood Island. The camp grounds consisted of several buildings, including a hospital, parade ground, and cemetery. Under the command of Brevet Major General David Twiggs, the camp processed over two thousand soldiers from June to October 1848. After the camp closed in 1853, the buildings were destroyed by a hurricane in 1860, and the property was sold in 1903.

Sub-Panel
Sponsored by the Descendants of Mexican War Veterans

 
Erected 2014 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesMilitaryNotable PlacesWar, Mexican-American. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 22, 1848.
 
Location. 30° 20.616′ N, 88° 32.088′ W. Marker is in Pascagoula
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, Mississippi, in Jackson County. Marker is on Beach Boulevard west of City Park Street, on the right when traveling west. Located within Beach Park, along Beach Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 City Park Street, Pascagoula MS 39567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Louisiana Native Guard Attacks Pascagoula (a few steps from this marker); President Zachary Taylor's Summer Home Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Jefferson Davis - Soldiers Return From The Mexican War - 1848 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Twiggs and the Military Asylum 1849-1855 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Lawson – Military Hospital on Greenwood Island – 1848 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Longfellow House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clark House (approx. ¾ mile away); St. Peter Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pascagoula.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Wiki article on Camp Jefferson Davis. (Submitted on March 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Former location of Camp Jefferson Davis, now the 14 acre Beach Park. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
2. Former location of Camp Jefferson Davis, now the 14 acre Beach Park.
View of Camp Jefferson Davis Marker & former camp location from Pascagoula Promenade. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
3. View of Camp Jefferson Davis Marker & former camp location from Pascagoula Promenade.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102205

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024