Ypsilanti in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Thompson Building
400 - 412 North River Street
After the war, the Thompson Building housed many important enterprises of the era: agricultural implements, household items, carriages and wagons, bicycles, paint and a tailor shop. It became the City's first Fire Department in 1856. The Neptune, Number 1 was the first volunteer fire company gounded in East Ypsilanti. The station later became East Side Hose Company, No. 2 and had room to stable horses. The first foreman was Benjamin Follett. The building continues to house a variety of small businesses.
In Michigan: The first independent automobile dealership opened in 1898 by William E. Metzger in Detroit, Michigan.
American Events: Samuel Morse sent the first
Donated by Acme Glass
Erected 1998 by Depot Town Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil.
Location. 42° 14.766′ N, 83° 36.595′ W. Marker is in Ypsilanti, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on East Cross Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is along the sidewalk between 29 and 33 East Cross Street, about 350 feet west of North River Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 East Cross Street, Ypsilanti MI 48198, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan Central Railroad Depot (here, next to this marker); Ypsilanti Woolen Mill Company (here, next to this marker); Michigan Central Railroad Gardens (here, next to this marker); Early Days in Depot Town (here, next to this marker); The Real McCoy (here, next to this marker); The Oliver HouseThe Last Hudson Dealership (a few steps from this marker); Michigan Central Freighthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ypsilanti.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 157 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 31, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.