Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Green Cove Springs in Clay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Camp Chowenwaw

 
 
Camp Chowenwaw Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, April 2, 2017
1. Camp Chowenwaw Marker
Inscription.  Created in 1932, Camp Chowenwaw (Cho’-wen-waw) derived its name from the Creek word for “sister.” Prominent Jacksonville resident Nancy Osborne, with support from local organizations such as the Rotary and Kiwanis clubs, led the effort for the Girl Scout Council of Duval County to purchase a 67-acre parcel at the mouth of Black Creek for $250. This newly acquired land served as the camp’s grounds. Federal help to build camp structures came from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation during the Great Depression. One of the biggest jobs was the exterior and interior construction of the Big Cabin, including shingles and furniture, from timber harvested on-site. Swedish granite, originally used as ballast in 19th century sailing ships, was donated by G.W. Parkhill and used to construct the cabin’s fireplaces. The camp expanded in 1951 by adding another 40 acres. For over 70 years, Camp Chowenwaw enriched the lives of young women by providing them a place to master new skills and talents as Girl Scouts. The camp remains an important part of Clay County history and serves as a county park offering recreational activities in a preserved
Camp Chowenwaw Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, April 2, 2017
2. Camp Chowenwaw Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
natural environment.
 
Erected 2015 by Clay County Historic Preservation Board, the Clay County Board of County Commissioners, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-874.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkEnvironmentFraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical year for this entry is 1932.
 
Location. 30° 2.386′ N, 81° 42.789′ W. Marker is near Green Cove Springs, Florida, in Clay County. Marker can be reached from Ball Road 0.3 miles west of Route 17, on the right when traveling west. Locate in Camp Chowenwaw Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1517 Ball Rd, Green Cove Springs FL 32043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); William Bartram Scenic Highway (approx. 2.8 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Village Improvement Association Woman's Club (approx. 3.7 miles away); Old Clay County Courthouse (approx. 3.8 miles away); Green Cove Springs (approx. 3.8 miles away); Dr. Applegate House (approx. 3.9 miles away); Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Green Cove Springs.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102456

Paid Advertisement
May. 8, 2021