Leakin Park at the Crimea Estate
Gwynns Falls Trail
Leakin Park provides tennis courts, playgrounds, sports fields, picnic facilities, and woodlands for year-around public use. This property was once a part of Thomas de Kay Winans’ country estate, Crimea, purchased by the city in the 1940s with funds from a bequest by J. Wilson Leakin. Today the estate serves as the home of the Chesapeake and Allegheny Live Steamers railroad, the Carrie Murray Nature Center, the Baltimore Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound Program, and the annual Baltimore Herb Festival.
Study the Map
Study the map and determine your destination before starting a journey on the 15-mile Gwynns Falls Trail. To access the trail at Leaking Park at Winans Meadow (Trailhead 2), use the path marked by a flag sign halfway around Eagle Drive. For more trail information, call 410-396-0440 or visit the trail office nearby on Eagle Drive or go to www.gywnnsfallstrail.org.
From Trailhead 2 in Leaking Park, the trail heads 1.1 miles north and east to Gwynns Falls Park at Windsor Mill Road (Trailhead 3). To the west, the trail leads to the historic village of Franklintown and to the I-70 Park and Ride (Trailhead 1).
The Chesapeake and Allegheny Live Steamers railroad operates the second Sunday of each month from April to November, free of charge.
(Inscription below the image in the upper right)
The friends of Orianda House maintain a museum room in the former mansion house of Thomas de Kay Winans.
(Inscription under the image in the center right)
The Carrie Murray Nature Center is a short walk past the tennis courts or a short car ride to 1901 Ridgetop Road.
(Inscription beside the image in the lower right)
The Outward Bound Program provides leadership and teamwork programs in an outdoor adventure environment occupying several of the former Crimea estate buildings.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Environment • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 39° 18.506′ N, 76° 42.052′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. It is in Franklintown. Marker is on Eagle Drive. The marker is located on the Crimea Estate. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gwynn Oak MD 21207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gateway to Leaking Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chapel (about 400 feet away); Caretaker House (about 500 feet away); Norman Van Allan Reeves
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 223 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 11, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.