The Woman’s College of Baltimore was founded in 1884, when Reverend John Franklin Goucher, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his wife, Mary C. Fisher, offered land and $150,000 to establish a college for women.
The first class of 48 women studied physics, biology, astronomy, math, languages, history and philosophy—a rigorous curriculum based on that of The Johns Hopkins University, which then excluded women. Before the turn of the century, Goucher had graduated the first two women doctors in Baltimore.
The design of this building, the school’s first, was based on a plan developed for the area by Stanford White, architect of the adjacent Lovely Lane Church. Local architect Charles L. Carson and builder Benjamin F. Bennett adapted White’s design into the shape of the letter “E” as a memorial to the founder’s deceased daughter Eleanor.
In 1910 the college was renamed Goucher in honor of its founders. Throughout their long career, the Gouchers energetically supported Methodist education, particularly in the Far East. At one time, their funds maintained 120 primary schools in India alone. Goucher
Erected by Allied Chemical Corporation, Sponsor; William Donald Schaefer, Mayor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 39° 18.902′ N, 76° 36.94′ W. Marker is in Old Goucher in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Saint Paul Street. The marker is on the exterior wall to the right of the entrance door. The building is now used by the Baltimore Lab School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2220 Saint Paul Street, Baltimore MD 21218, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The North Avenue Poly Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Remington (approx. half a mile away); Pennsylvania Station (approx. half a mile away); Ouija Board (approx. 0.6 miles away); Memorial to Marylanders Killed in War with Mexico (approx. 0.6 miles away); Union Soldiers and Sailors Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Archibald Coleman Rogers, FAIA (approx. 0.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.