East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Michigan State Medical Society / Michigan State Medical Society Headquarters
Michigan State Medical Society
In 1819 five physicians organized the Michigan Medical Society in Detroit. Its purpose was "to examine medical students and certify those so deemed as doctors." The group reorganized in Ann Arbor as the Peninsula Medical Society in 1851. That organization disbanded in 1859. On June 5, 1866, one hundred physicians from across the state once again met in Detroit and founded the Michigan State Medical Society. The society pledged "to elevate professional medical education and to cultivate the advancement of medical science." Among its first projects was the establishment of a state public health department, which was created in 1873. The society was housed in various buildings in Detroit and Lansing until this headquarters was completed in 1961.
Michigan State Medical Society Headquarters
World renowned Michigan architect Minoru Yamasaki (1912-85) designed the Michigan State Medical Society Headquarters. Upon its completion in 1961, Yamasaki explained, "The intent was to build a serene and inviting building to express the idealism and humanity of the medical profession." The
Erected 1995 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S649.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 44.859′ N, 84° 29.067′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of West Saginaw Street (Business Interstate 69) and Abbot Road on West Saginaw Street. Marker can be seen in the parking lot behind the building, accessible from Abbot Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 West Saginaw Street, East Lansing MI 48823, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Michigan Automobile Dealers Association (approx. ¼ mile away); Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin / St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Parish (approx. 0.6 miles away); Collegeville / East Lansing (approx. ¾ mile away); Masonic Temple (approx. "That a Ladies Course be Organized" (approx. one mile away); Alice B. Cowles House (approx. one mile away); Women's Building (approx. one mile away); The Nation's Pioneer Land-Grant University (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine •
More. Search the internet for Michigan State Medical Society / Michigan State Medical Society Headquarters.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 23, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.