Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Davisboro in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

New Hope Methodist Church

"We camp by side of...a neat frame church"

— March to the Sea Heritage Trail —

 
 
New Hope Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, April 30, 2017
1. New Hope Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  New Hope is the oldest Methodist Church still in existence in Washington County. Its early written church records are lost, but oral history relates that New Hope's original structure was built in the late 1700s. It was a one-room building with a single hand-hewn beam spanning its length and columns to support the ceiling and roof. Bishop Francis Asbury held a quarterly meeting at New Hope in 1801. In 1922 the church building was lifted and rolled on logs 138 feet to its current location in order to enlarge the cemetery. Through several building enlargements and renovations the single hand-hewn beam has remained intact and is still visible today. Original doors are now used for the church's front entrance and Sunday School rooms.

In November 1864 the war came to New Hope. The Federal 15th & 17th Corps crossed the Oconee River at Ball's Ferry on Saturday, November 26th. By the 28th the 17th Corps, commanded by Major General Francis P. Blair, Jr., had marched northeast. They were joined by Major General William T. Sherman and his staff at Widow Peacock's home (near the current intersection of Old Savannah Road and Georgia Highway
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
15). Their destination that day was "the nearest parallel road to the railroad, on the south side, south of Williamson's swamp creek." The column of more than 11,000 infantrymen turned east-southeast (on Heards Bridge Road) where General Sherman and his staff stopped for their noon meal at the J. C. Moye home. By evening they arrived and made camp around New Hope Methodist Church.

General Blair and several other officers reportedly camped in the church, even taking their horses inside and tethering them to columns. To stay warm they burned hymn books, church records and some of the building's wood siding in the stove in the middle of the church. But General Sherman camped outside, as Major Henry Hitchcock of his staff recorded in his diary, "We camp by side of road, in open space with pine woods in immediate rear, and on right of camp a neat frame church." The following day, Tuesday, November 29th, Generals Sherman and Blair with the troops of the 17th Corps continued their march generally southeast, past Tarver's Mill and just south of Bartow, along the Savannah road.

[Photo captions]
Top left: Bishop Francis Asbury
Middle top: Union Major General Francis P. Blair, Jr.
Middle bottom: General Sherman's Headquarters "Fly" Tent (Harper's Weekly)
Top right: Approximate routes of the "March to the Sea"
The now, New Hope United Methodist Church with marker on right side of church. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, April 30, 2017
2. The now, New Hope United Methodist Church with marker on right side of church.
through middle Georgia in November 1864
  (adopted from the Atlas to Accompany the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies)
Background watermark: New Hope Methodist Church

 
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc. (Marker Number R15.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Civil War Trails, and the Sherman’s March to the Sea series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1864.
 
Location. 32° 55.853′ N, 82° 36′ W. Marker is near Davisboro, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of New Hope Church Road and Heards Bridge Road on New Hope Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: New Hope Church Road, Davisboro GA 31018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Riddleville (approx. 4.2 miles away); Historic Highways (approx. 4.3 miles away); Sherman's Left Wing (approx. 4.4 miles away); Tarver's Mill (approx. 4.7 miles away); Fenn's Bridge (approx. 7.8 miles away); Bartow (approx. 8.1 miles away); Site of Fort Wood (approx. 8.1 miles away); Spier's Turnout (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Davisboro.
 
New Hope United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, April 30, 2017
3. New Hope United Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 6, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103249

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024