Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Brandy Station in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Norman's Mills Ford

 
 
Norman's Mills Ford Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pete Payette, May 8, 2017
1. Norman's Mills Ford Marker
Inscription.  Serving the public as a crossing of Mountain Run on the Carolina Road (Raleigh to Philadelphia) from Colonial days until 1900, when a single lane, three span, steel truss bridge was constructed, just west of the dam. This bridge was replaced in the mid 1950s by the present bridge.

In 1863, during the Battle of Brandy Station, the Union's Col Duffie and his cavalry force (3000) was denied a crossing here by a small group of Confederate soldiers (who had been routed on Hansboro Ridge) and made a wild dash for Norman's Mills Ford. There soldiers from the 4th VA had a lone cannon (12 pounder-Napoleon) positioned to prevent the use of the ford. In addition to the cannon, the Confederates had riflemen in the canal (used as a trench) which ran on the north edge and for the entire length of the Mt. Run Bottom.

Col Duffie apparently was not aware of the obvious fact that horses could not cross Mt. Run (except at a ford) and this made Mt. Run just as effective a natural barrier as the Rappahannock River. He was turned back from here and followed Gen. Gregg's route, finally arriving in Brandy Stastion (sic) after the fighting was
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
over. His men never fired a shot in Brandy Station.

The ford was used by a Stevensburg church until the mid 1950s, for baptismal purposes.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is June 9, 1863.
 
Location. 38° 27.27′ N, 77° 53.856′ W. Marker is near Brandy Station, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker can be reached from Stevensburg Road south of Coles Hill Road, on the left when traveling south. Located within Lenn Park, near the picnic area alongside Mountain Run. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18063 Stevensburg Road, Brandy Station VA 22714, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hold at Mountain Run (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hansborough Ridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Brandy Station (approx. half a mile away); The Civil War in Stevensburg (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named The Civil War in Stevensburg (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named The Civil War in Stevensburg (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named The Civil War in Stevensburg (approx. one mile away); Battlefield Preservation (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandy Station.
 
More about this marker. A second marker describing the battle action here is located
Norman's Mills Ford image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pete Payette, May 8, 2017
2. Norman's Mills Ford
about a half-mile further downstream down a gravel path, at the actual crossing site of Duffie's troops.
 
Remnants of mill race and dam. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pete Payette, May 8, 2017
3. Remnants of mill race and dam.
The modern bridge (CR 663) is to the right just out of view.
Old mill race and dam. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pete Payette, May 8, 2017
4. Old mill race and dam.
View from the ford towards the site of Duffie's attempted crossing further downstream. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pete Payette, May 8, 2017
5. View from the ford towards the site of Duffie's attempted crossing further downstream.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2017, by Pete Payette of Orange, Virginia. This page has been viewed 652 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 20, 2017, by Pete Payette of Orange, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103529

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024